Monday 26 October 2009

Vientiane

So this is me almost up to date on my postings. Now I'm all alone with the rest of the group having gone their separate ways - HI GUYS! - I'm starting this with only 2 hours to go before my 15 hour ( in SEA travel time read 18 minimum) long hour trip back to Bangkok from where I fly to Hanoi. And yes those of you who have a map, I'm aware this is like leaving Berlin for Madrid to go to Moscow, but its cheaper this way (mostly because you'd have to carry me unconscious into a 24 hour bus journey, which is what it would be from here to northern Vietnam. The Bangkok trip is by sleeper train, which here means a reasonably comfy bed so its nowhere near as harrowing.

So what are my thoughts on the capital of Laos? Well other than the slight grievance I have for the country making a second spirited attempt to break one of my big toes (the first was in the waterfall at Luang Prabang) I've liked the city. Its much more laid back than the other cities I've visited in Asia so far. The evenings are a little quiet, other than the disco in the bizarre setting of a five star hotel, which basically functions as a place for tourists to pick up local women, but all in all its a very nice city.

We did the tourist trail visiting the oldest and most important temples in the city(Wat Si Saket and Pha That Luang) - now it may just be me believing the hype, but I've now sat before Buddha in the holiest sites in Thailand and Laos and these places have felt more tranquil than the others.

We also visited Patuxai, a monument modeled on the Arc De Triomphe in Paris (but slightly taller Laos 1 - 0 France) which gave great views of the city. I was puzzled to find a market in full swing half way up the tower, but horses for courses eh?

The food in Laos has been interesting, as there is much more of a western influence here. Was nice to get some bread and cheese again but I'll be glad to get back to the more traditional Asian foods and leave the tourist food behind again (for a while). The noddles to seem to make me lose weight though. Might have to up to five meals a day again.....

No comments:

Post a Comment