Thursday 29 October 2009

Bangkok Revisited.

So I got off the train from Nong Khai at about 7.30 in the morning. I had presumed when I booked it that like all Thai trains I've been on this would be three hours late and deliver me to town at the semi-reasonable time of 10am. But nooooo! They've put someone efficient in charge. Trains are starting to run on time now! What is the world coming to I ask you?


So in my sleep deprived state, I decided to go for a walk. So I wandered over to the left luggage counter and thats where I encountered a strange phenomenon for the second time in Thailand. At 8 am and 6pm every day, in public buildings (such as the train station and Chaing Mai market where I first encountered it) they play the national anthem. And in Thailand the anthem doesn't get the half hearted "O flower of Scotland, nah nah nah, nah nah nah nah" that it does over here. Everyone stops still and stands to attention. No matter what they are doing. So even though the guy was halfway through taking my bag he stopped, stood still and waited until the end before giving me my ticket. Its a little unnerving the first time you see 3000 people stop stalk still let me tell you! I felt an obligation to join in, but as I was rusty on the words, I just went for the respectful silence option. I think that was taken as an acceptable alternative both times.

So with my bag duely stored, I went for my wander. I ended up in a maze of back alleys in the middle of the town. A couple of strange turns and I was in the middle of a ghetto in bangkok. Needless to say I was miles from the internet cafe I thought would help me pass the time. So I wandered for about 20 minutes and headed back to the station. Only to spot one across the road from the main enterance... d'oh

Bangkok the second time around is a very different place to stay in. Once you're used to the hussle and bussle of asia as well as the temperature it can be quite fun to take in the sights and sounds. I also started to play with the chancers who try and take new arrivals for a ride. When they come out with a really high price for a tuk tuk for example 400 baht for a ride which cost 100 on the way there, I counter with my own offer of 5 baht and see them splutter for a bit before I walk off. When I cant be bothered, I go for the response of "six weeks" when they ask how long I've been here and they for some reason rapidly loose interest...


Its also allowed me to become reaquainted with a strange phenomenon. There is a local and often played song by a local girl group which really sounded out of place the first time I heard it. Its a cover of Zombie by the Cranberries. By the Thai equivelant of girls aloud. Oh dear....

No comments:

Post a Comment