Wednesday 21 October 2009

Mai Mai Mai....

So its been a long time since I updated this, so I'm going to attempt to bring you up to speed at pace. This blog covers the Chiang Mai leg of the journey.

So we got into Chain Mai and found a hostel (for those of you who know the city we were near the Tha Pae Gate of the old town. Had a quiet day the first day and just wandered about to recover from THE journey.

Day two we decided to go on a 3 stage trek. Stage one we rode elephants (see facebook for pictures) which was great fun, although very bouncy (and my elephant was the only one without a safety bar on the riding box so when he decided that he was off for a walk basically down a cliff it got a little hairy. Stage two took us to a waterfall by way of a couple villages to show us the rural way of life. Tried the local habit of chewing a mixture of beetlenut and tobacco - not something I recommend you try at home kids. Stage 3 was bamboo rafting which was great (although I managed to wipe myself off the raft by a severe misjudgement of speed and tree)

Day 3 we went and watched some Muay Thai- its really interesting to watch the ceremony that attaches to each fight and the matches were really good, but I felt the pain of the poor soul who got a full on knee in the balls.

Day 4 we went to the Tiger Kingdom. Strange to see such dangerous animals so close up.

I decided to move on without doing a cooking course - will pick one up in Bangkok in one of the transit stops.

No comments:

Post a Comment