Friday 27 November 2009

Sapa

Right I've fallen a bit behind in blogging (I'm now two weeks further on than the blog is)

----

So the scenery in Sapa is breath-taking. As I wrote this I was perched on a wall up a mountain overlooking a drop of several hundred feet. The impressively taken timed pictue is available on facebook

On the way up I met a rather insane (but still very friendly) Vietnamese girl. Incidentilly she is the seventh person t have asked early in conversation if I'm married. The girl was lovely other than her insistance we stop every two minutes to take photos.

Sapa is as I've said very pretty but there isn't a lot to do here. If you want to go for a trek with the local tribespeople then this is the place to be, but after a couple of days soaking in the scenery and breathing the mountain air there isn't much to tie you to the place.

While I'm on the subject of tribesfolk, I have to admit there are certain aspects of Sapa that left me uneasy. One of the main draws of the town is that all the local people come in tribal dress to sell their wares. My feeling here is that the line between human carnival and human zoo is a thin and blurry one. There's no way if the town wasn't full of westerners that there would be dozens of black h'mong women selling identical blankets I've had the arguement put to me that these people are doing better out of it than we are, but still I can't help but feel that there is something is lost from a people's culture when there are six H'mong girls sitting in a line in an internet cafe all on YouTube and MySpace.

Again the arguement was put to me (I spent some time having philosophical arguements in Sapa) that you cant prevent people from improving their lives with electricity and computers but I do wonder if they'd be happier if we'd never come along.

Incidentilly I spoke to one Vietnamese man (originally from Hanoi but now working in Sapa) who said that he had been in Sapa for 11 years, and when he had come to town there were two, maybe three hotels. There are now several hundred. He didn't seem pleased with developments.

While I was there I did meet one seemingly cute young girl who aged about six tried to sell me the usual bags and bracelets. When I said I didn't want any she said it would be unfair if she then saw me buying from someone else. My lawyers mind then kicked into gear and I promised that I wouldn't buy any of what she had from anyone else. She made me pinkie promise which I was happy to do. When I had done this she said "Good. Now if you do I get your finger." and walked off smiling...

No comments:

Post a Comment