Saturday 28 November 2009

Hanoi-ed to leave

-This was written in Hue backpackers hostel-

Well I can honestly say that Hanoi is the first place I've left where my strongest feeling was regret. I've enjoyed almost everywhere I've been, but Hanoi is the only place where - under different circumstances - I could see myself living.

The city has a great vibe, and the locals are so friendly - and not in the rope 'em in and scam 'em way. For example, a couple of times when I was sitting at the old quarter lake, students (in their early 20s) came over and asked me if it was OK for them to sit down and practise English with me. It was really cool to get a chance to chat with locals about everyday things.

My last 24 hours in Hanoi were pretty cool. Went out in a big group for a meal - got myself some watersnake (tastes a bit like a tuna/salmon crossbreed) and then we headed to the "Bia Hoi Junction" and had some 10p beers. Thats right kids, 10p!

After this I realised that my so laid back I'm horizontal approach to wandering around the city ("We'll find the lake if we wander round for a bit") after there was some worry over one of our groups inabillity to find her own hotel. We did eventually find it (by wandering around for a little while ;-).

The next day I said my goodbyes, paid one last visit to the old quarter and got on the night train, where I was once again the only westerner in the cabin. Got chatting to the woman opposite me and explained to her that Scottish men don't in fact wear dresses and dozed off to sleep...

No comments:

Post a Comment