Saturday 28 November 2009

Half the world of Hue

Hue is a very pretty city and a good laugh.

I arrived at the hostel on my first night about two hours too late for something that would bankrupt a lesser establishment, namely FREE BEER HOUR. In this time you can drink as many beers as you like without paying. And with beer at 20 000 a bottle, and rooms at 110 000 a night, the maths is there for all to see.

The next day I went on the city tour, which took us to some cool sites, but I reckon its been turned into a bit of a tourist trap as the $11 price tag - good value against a car - included only the bus, a pretty good guide to give him his due, and what appeared to be a rather nice buffet lunch. On reflection however the lunch may not have been so harmless.

Later that night I met up with Harry again which was cool. Had a few beers with him and some others, then played some pool. This was cool for about two hours, until my body - 52 days into the trip - decided that it had had enough of me and wanted to explode. I left many a puzzled Vietnamese street seller in my wake as I sprinted back to the safety of my hostel and my bathroom.

12 hours later and 4 stone lighter, I emerged from my room to find Hayley (from Hanoi) and Karl (one of the guys from the previous night) sitting with two new faces., Honza from Holland and Bronwyn from South Africa. After a discussion process which I in my weakened state missed out on it was decided to hire bikes for the day and go cycling. After much persuasion (Karl: You coming? Me: Erm... Bronwyn: Go on. Me : O.K.) and seventeen costume changes (none of which were mine) we set out to explore Hue. It was weird to be back on a bike for the first time in six and a half years.....

It was a nice way to see the city though. In true Tour De France style we took it in turns to lead the pack and kept the pace up with baffled locals pointing at us as we flew past. Before I was in the mood, someone suggested we turn for home. Luckily Bronwyn felt the same way and after a brief pit stop we headed back out. We ended up at the pagoda, which I had visited the previous day on the city tour but I was much more able to appreciate its beauty (and tranquility!) for the fact that it was one hour later and most of the tourists had gone home.

As time was ticking by, and the sun drops like a stone here, we started the 7km ride home. Coming back over the bridge to town, I was slow getting away at some lights, so Bronwyn was about 5 seconds ahead of me , as we went to turn left across 3 lanes of traffic. With her head start Bronwyn had space to move in front of a coach, while I decided to wait and go behind. When the bus had moved past, I saw lying in the middle of the road a tangle of bodies, bike and motorbike. Now in Vietnam if there is a crash, traffic doesn't stop, it just moves round using any and all available space. This meant I had no chance to get near so I pulled in at the side of the road and waited. Amazingly enough 2 seconds later up she sprung, got back on the bike and pedalled through to the other side of the junction. Turns out the bike had come out of nowhere and hit her from behind. Luckily enough she wasn't really hurt.

Went back to the hostel and has a quiet night. Oh and Davey, Honza told the Auschwitz joke!

No comments:

Post a Comment