Sunday 6 December 2009

In lighter news...

So now we move to the less dark side of Cambodia.

The next day the Canadian girls had headed on, so myself and Joonas went to see the palace and silver pagoda. The palace was pretty good, but I'd say the one in Bangkok probably has the edge. The silver pagoda (which just like the temple in the palace at Bangkok contains an emerald Buddha) were used to make up the floor and so only a small area of tiles was visible at the door. I've got to say if I had myself 5000 silver tiles, they'd be hung up on the walls or ceiling. We then ran into problems with the palace guard who wouldn't let us back through to the royal side. We decided to cut our losses here and not follow the example of an English couple who were shouting abuse at this armed man. That night we made it to the lakeside (we had got lost on the first night when we tried to find it.) This place is THE backpacker hangout I've seen so far. Drugs freely available, cheap food, cheaper accommodation and hundreds of stoned white people.

After a $2 all you can eat Indian, we headed home so I could prepare fro my trip down the coast the next day. The bus journey wasn't that eventful (Although I did flash back to the Cu Chi tunnels when trying to make it to the on board toilet). I made it to my Sihanoukville hotel room by 3. In the evening I discovered that this is THE place for BBQ seafood. Next day I decided to rent a bike. The first place I went had none left, but the guy charitably offered to give me a lift to his friends place where I could rent one. $2 later i was off exploring. I've never hurt so much riding a bike. Cambodian highways are fine, but small roads are either dirt, or more pothole than road. After about 20km my thighs, arse and knee were killing me. When, passing over one big pothole, my water bottle decided to leap from the basket and hit me in the face, I knew it was time to go home. On the way I did encounter the truly unique experience of a Cambodian roundabout - strategically placed at the bottom of 3 hills. Nonetheless, I survived.

Next couple of days were quite quiet (played in a pool competition and TWICE came runner up in a 10 person winner take all game - did get free beer though so at least there was a silver lining) and I'm now back in Phnom Pehn (finally the blog is up to date again!) waiting to head on to Siem Reap (And the temples of Angkor) tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment